SITUATION UPDATE

Tehran's seven-day offer has drawn a reported no. Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said in New York that the Strait of Hormuz could reopen, and hostilities stop, within seven days if Washington met the terms of the June 17 memorandum: end the naval blockade, lift sanctions on Iranian oil and release ~$12bn in frozen assets. President Trump rejected it and told aides he expects to resume bombing Iran after the Nov. 3 midterms, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing US officials. See this morning's alert.

Nothing is on the record from the White House. One US official told CBS the indirect talks were "positive and constructive" and that Washington is in no rush while it holds a strong position in the strait. Our geopolitical panel reads the two signals as one position: reject Iran's sequencing, keep the channel open, and let an anonymous leak do the pressuring. It puts 70% on the Journal's account holding up and 60% on the formal reply being a counter-sequence or silence rather than a flat refusal.

Pezeshkian's own timeline is now on the record twice. "We wish Americans to return to the MoU before the midterms," he told reporters in New York on Thursday, CBS reported. That line rested on one source when we flagged it yesterday. Washington treats Nov. 3 as the point after which force comes back; Tehran's civilian government treats it as a deadline to avoid.

WHAT THE CLOCK CHANGES

"Bombing after the midterms" cuts both ways. Before Nov. 3 it signals no major US combat, which lowers near-term strike risk. After Nov. 3 it builds a cliff, softened only by officials saying Trump is reluctant and could change his mind depending on the result. Our defense panel reads the 38 days as time for Iran to disperse and rebuild.

Rezaei's deadline runs out this weekend. The panel's odds for Tehran's response: declare the window lapsed and blame Washington while keeping the channel (55%), a calibrated signal through the Houthi movement or a strait incident (22%), a formal suspension of indirect talks (13%), a new concession (10%).

This also breaks the premise of The Midterm Clause, which assumed Trump expected a deal right after the election. Our panel now puts Stall to the Wire at 48% (from 42%), Partial Channel Trade at 18% (from 25%) and a full deal before Nov. 3 at 5% (from 8%).

YANBU GETS A GUARD

Emmanuel Macron said France will send soldiers, radars and air-defence systems to protect Yanbu, agreed with Riyadh and "not to engage in any conflicts." He gave no numbers or dates. On our defense panel's assessment, short-range systems could arrive within weeks from French forces already in the UAE. Only a SAMP/T battery would add real protection against ballistic missiles, and none has been named.

Saudi air defences intercepted Houthi missile fire aimed at Khamis Mushait, an air-base city in the southwest, early Saturday. AP, quoting coalition spokesman Maj. Gen. Turki al-Malki, says one missile; CBS says two. Al-Malki also reported two drones downed over the Riyadh region the same day, so Saturday was a two-target salvo and the second consecutive day of Houthi fire at Saudi soil. Houthi spokesman Yahya Saree claims Thursday's salvo hit Aramco facilities at Yanbu. Saudi Arabia confirms only six interceptions.

Yanbu still has no confirmed loading. Six Kpler slots (four Aframaxes, a Suezmax and a VLCC, ~5.5-6M bbl in total) run out Sep. 27. War-risk cover for Saudi-linked tankers there is ~3% of hull value, up from under 1% in early July, one trade report says. For owners, the French kit protects a berth, not a transit through the Red Sea.

MARKET IMPACT

MetricSep 24Sep 25Change
Brent crude$106.60$104.32-2.1%
WTI$94.61$92.41-2.3%
Blockade redirections (CENTCOM)115 (Sep 23)122+7
US oil rigs (Baker Hughes)452455+3

Friday's drop priced a US return to the memorandum. The rejection report broke after the close. Brent ended the week ~1% higher; WTI fell more than 7% as the total US rig count rose for a third straight week.

A US official also told CBS that ~40M bbl crossed Hormuz in 48 hours under military escort, "a number equal to that of prewar levels." That is ~20M bpd, ~10 VLCC-equivalents a day. The only independent count, Kpler's 13 crossings Sep. 24, carried ~6-7M bbl laden. We carry the 40M figure as a claim, not a flow number.

Energy panel view on Brent to ~Oct. 6: $103-111 base case (60%); $111-118 (25%) if Yanbu misses Sep. 27 or a strike does real damage there; $96-102 (15%) if the White House walks back the Journal's story and Yanbu loads.

WHAT TO WATCH

Monday's Brent open is the first market read on the rejection. Before then: a White House denial or formal reply, and whether Tehran's statement on Rezaei's window comes from Araghchi or the IRGC. Tomorrow decides whether any Yanbu slot loads. OPEC+ meets Oct. 4.