Washington Wants Nuclear First. Tehran Wants It on Day Seven.
BY THE HARBORMASTER · TANKERBRIEF DESK · ENERGY AND SHIPPING ANALYSIS
SITUATION UPDATE
Qatari mediators carried messages between the US and Iran in New York on Monday, with no US officials in the room with Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. President Trump confirmed messages had passed through the mediators. Araghchi says he expects the formal US answer by Tuesday, that Iran has not moved on its own proposal, and that he is flying home to wait for it.
A US official told CBS on Monday afternoon: "There will not be a deal unless the nuclear issues are addressed." Sanctions relief and frozen funds would follow "concrete progress." That evening Trump answered an Axios report on relief on Truth Social, writing that he had offered Iran "NOTHING."
ORDER OF OPERATIONS
Both capitals now accept that the nuclear file is on the table. They disagree on where it sits. Iran's seven-day plan has Washington move first over four to five days: end the blockade, lift oil sanctions, release frozen funds. Hormuz reopens on day six and wider talks, the nuclear file among them, start on day seven. Washington's official line puts nuclear first and pays on progress. Our geopolitical panel reads Tuesday's answer as a test of sequence, and the 2021-22 talks to revive the JCPOA lost their first months to the same question of who moves first.
The panel puts 55% on a formal US text reaching Tehran this week with the channel kept open, up from 45%. Most of that (40%) is a nuclear-first restatement with conditional relief. The remaining 15% is a bridging text that pulls a nuclear commitment earlier inside the seven days. A confirmed strike or Iranian action at sea or against Gulf infrastructure sits at 13%, from 12%.
That one-point rise comes from Tehran. Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf told parliament on Tuesday: "In a region where we cannot sell oil, no one else will sell oil either; or if our security is not guaranteed, no infrastructure will remain safe." At sea, UKMTO logged a vessel struck by an unknown projectile in the strait on Monday evening, fire out and crew safe, with no claim. Ashore, it is the 21st straight period with no announced US strike. But Ghalibaf now names the kind of target that matters this week. As The Ghalibaf Variable argued, his voice is the one that tells you whether the IRGC will sign.
THE BYPASS IS THE TARGET
Bloomberg, citing one source, reports that Saudi Arabia's East-West pipeline is moving about 3.5M b/d. Reuters put pre-shutdown throughput at ~4M b/d. Saudi Aramco and the energy ministry did not respond. Our maritime panel keeps that figure single-source. Loadings are now on record: Reuters, citing trade sources, puts them at ~2M b/d since last week, and Aramco sent customers its October Yanbu schedule on Monday evening. No hull has been named.
At 3.5M b/d, Yanbu needs ~1 VLCC cargo every 14 hours, about 12 a week. War-risk cover at Yanbu runs ~3% of hull value, ~$3M a voyage, or ~$1.50/bbl on a 2M bbl cargo. Ghalibaf's threat gives underwriters a reason to raise that rate. Confirmation needs one of four things: a named tanker loaded or sailing, an Aramco statement, a quoted fixture, or a Yanbu cargo seen at Bab-el-Mandeb or Suez. The Bypass Map sets out why this line carries so much of the Gulf's leverage.
Hormuz traffic is flat. Windward's reported 13 transits on Sep. 26 remain the latest dated count. Weekend claims of more than 20M bbl moved do not square with 13 hulls, and we do not carry them.
THE NOVEMBER ROLL
Brent gave back most of the rejection rally. November traded as high as $108.81 on Monday, $0.73 short of our alert line, then settled at $105.28. On Tuesday it fell 1.6% to ~$103.60 as Yanbu loadings resumed.
November expires on Sep. 30. December trades ~$97.30, so from Oct. 1 the headline Brent quote will sit ~$8 lower on the contract switch alone. Our alert line moves to +5% on December's Sep. 30 settle, about $102 if it holds near today's level.
| Market marker | Level | Note |
|---|---|---|
| Brent Nov, Sep 28 high | $108.81 | +4.3% on $104.32 |
| Brent Nov, Sep 28 settle | $105.28 | +0.9% |
| Brent Nov, Sep 29 | ~$103.60 | -1.6%, expires Sep 30 |
| Brent Dec, Sep 29 | ~$97.30 | new front month Oct 1 |
For the week to the Oct. 4 OPEC+ meeting, our energy panel has December at $95-101 at 55%, above $101 at 25%, and below $95 at 20%. Upside weight comes down because Monday's fade shows the market discounting rhetoric that has no strike behind it. OPEC+ is expected to hold.
WHAT TO WATCH
Whether the US text arrives, and whether nuclear sits on day one or day seven. Araghchi's first public line after reading it. A named tanker out of Yanbu. Any move toward the Red Sea behind Ghalibaf's words. December's Sep. 30 settle, which becomes the new alert base.